Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christian Oppression...

I came across this picture online recently.




Do you notice anything ironic about it?

If not, let me change the scenario a bit.  Experts project that, within two generations, Christianity will cease being the dominant religion. The Muslim people have a birthrate of roughly twice that of the non-Muslim population, and Islam may be the most widely-practiced religion sometime even before you and I die.

My point is not whether this is “good” or “bad.”  I’m only saying that—shortly—the pie chart above may look completely different, with “Muslim” being the big blue area that currently says “Christian.”

Now, let’s imagine it’s the future, and the predictions have come true—there are more Muslims in the world than Christians. Then, let’s suppose I take that pie chart and put a quote above the blue, Muslim area which says, “I’m taking over this plane.”

Is that okay?
…Or would a Muslim have the right to complain that I’m stereotyping?

If I assume something negative about an entire group of people—and then post a picture making fun of them on the internet—is that oppression? I think it would be offensive, regardless of how many Muslims exist, how many of them become terrorists, whether it's a joke, etc. etc. 

It's wrong to categorize and then crack jokes.
------
I’d just like to say two things in response to the pie chart, as it exists today. First, it doesn't matter if Christians out-number members of other faiths in the world. Individual Christians still can experience oppression at the hands of an aggressive group. 

Even if there are 1,000,000,000,000 Christians in the world and only two Hindus, if those Hindus seek out others to beat, torture, or even "just" make fun of other beliefs, that's persecution. If they overpower Christians for their beliefs in any way, that's oppression.

Regardless of whether Christian beliefs are“popular," the fact remains:  Some of my brothers and sisters ARE oppressed. They are thrown in jail, maimed, cast out of their country, or even killed, because their religion is unpopular in their immediate circle.

It disgusts me that ignorant Americans, with access to chart-developing software, can mock this tragedy with the sarcastic quote, “Help, we’re being oppressed!” just because THEY’VE never seen an arrest, a hanging, or a beheading. (Here are a just a few true examples)

Secondly, I’m lucky enough to live in a place I don't fear for my life, so I've never personally said, “Help, I’m being oppressed!” That's why I don’t enjoy having those words put in my mouth.

Yet I HAVE said things are unfair--even in America--since society is allowed to make statements about Christians like me which political correctness prohibits being said about anybody else. My "Taking-Over-This-Plane" chart is just one example. 

If you believe it's NOT okay to stereotype Muslims with a flippant quote attributed to the whole group--but you believe it's fine to do so with Christians--then here's a thought from ONE Christian on the subject. (Feel free to make a digital poster and pass it around.)

"Hey! I'm being treated unfairly!”

5 comments:

  1. My biggest thought is: CONTEXT! In the world, yes, there are definitely oppressed Christian populations. However, in the US, it is impossible for a Christian to be oppressed because it's the dominant religion.

    Of course, it is always possible to be discriminated against (if you are oppressed or not), because that has nothing to do with societal power and simply about individual acts. It's REALLY important to differentiate between oppression and discrimination! I know that these terms are thrown around a lot in general conversation, but there is a big difference that helps us talk about these issues in a more meaningful way.

    I think the person who made this chart was PROBABLY thinking of a US context for that graph. I don't know though because I'd have to see the source.

    There are interesting poll results that *somewhat* support the generalization depicted in the graphic: A Public Religion Research Institute poll found 44% of Americans surveyed identify discrimination against whites as being just as big as bigotry aimed at blacks and other minorities. The poll found 61% of those identifying with the Tea Party held that view, as did 56% of Republicans and 57% of white evangelicals. Of course, this is about race, not religion, but I do think it speaks to this idea that a dominant group (within the US) can be oppressed (which is theoretically impossible).

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I shouldn't say that discrimination has nothing to do with oppression. Clearly, people who are oppressed are discriminated against at higher rates. Just look at the hate crimes statistics published by the FBI. What I meant to say was that oppression and discrimination are not *necessarily* linked, as someone from a dominant group can experience discrimination. It's just not as common and does not have the context of oppression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the thoughts, but I still disagree. :)

    Oppression has to do with societal power, as you said. But why assume that groups with the biggest numbers automatically have the most power? Authority comes from influence, which comes from money, personality, and the use of force--but it can be achieved even by small groups if done "properly." Slaves in South Carolina outnumbered whites 2:1. But the white slave masters had the power. Regardless of national population statistics--if one group gains control over another and holds them down, that's oppression.

    But, anyway, the point of the post wasn't to discuss whether Christians were oppressed. You've told me I'm wrong for "talking for the poor," so isn't it wrong to talk for Christians, too? This chart does so--mocking Christians with a stereotyped statement as if all Christians talk exactly alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's what frustrates me about the chart:

    1. Many of the people in that blue group are nominal Christians. It's a part of their cultural identity or they're confused, or who knows, but when the world goes in a sinful direction direction, these people go with the world. By doing so, *they* actually contribute to the discrimination, which messes up the statistics.

    2. What if we were talking about men vs. women? Ask any feminist if women have been oppressed throughout history and you will hear a resounding, "YES!" But how can that be, since women make up half the population? Surely it's preposterous to say that women have faced any kind of oppression in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, I agree that a generalization cannot be made about any one group having the exact same belief.

    However, I don't think that's what the chart is saying. I think it's making fun of Christians who themselves generalize that all Christians are oppressed. The chart isn't saying "all Christians agree with this chart" - instead the chart is making fun of those (whoever they are - it's not defined) who say "All Christians are oppressed, even though we are a dominant group in society!" I hope I'm making sense. I am not good at articulating statistics.

    I was not suggesting that groups with more people *necessarily* are the dominant group. Christians are both dominant in population size but also in cultural power in the United States. Again, look at hate crime statistics, look at our cultural norms, etc. I do think it's more likely for a larger group to be dominant, but I don't think its necessary. My point was that since Christianity is both dominant in numbers and societal power, that is unlikely to change.

    ReplyDelete