Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Listen to Your Heart


My sis-in-law brought this article to my attention today, specifically noting these words:

"Ask yourself, "Do I hate being with children?"
If the answer is yes, don't have one!

However, if the answer is, "Maybe [I do hate being with children], but I love the moral and social status associated with being a mom"—then have a kid or two, but make a lot of money first so you can hire a full-time, highly qualified concierge to keep you from spending too much time with them..."

I couldn't have written a crazier paragraph if I was being sarcastic. Yet, this author seems to be serious, stating it's important for moms to "avoid resentment" of daily tasks, at all costs.

She says: "...If you hate doing something, you absolutely must not do it."

And, apparently, using this "handy tool," a mom can justify almost anything--even giving birth for the "social status" and trying not to spend "too much time" with the kids. An outrageous conclusion like this one should be expected from a theory which elevates a woman's feelings to an unbiblical level.
----
I really hate exercise.

Regardless of the activity, moving and sweating makes me uncomfortable. And, since I hate the sensation of hot lungs and sore limbs, I conclude exercise isn't my thing.

Oh sure, experts say the pain associated with exercise actually benefits my body. But following advice when I really, truly hate the activity only leads to resentment. If I don't feel like exercising, I'm absolutely not going to do it.
----

The author wrote: "I wouldn't have discovered the danger of resentment until I took parenting advice that went against my nature—and lived to resent it. Strict religious practice and dietary restrictions sounded OK when I heard the justifications, but I wasn't listening to my heart."

Thus, she seems to say: when there's a conflict between a piece of advice and your nature, go with your nature. When the logic in your head argues with the feelings in your heart, go with your heart.

Feelings are king.

Unfortunately, the Bible says our natures are sinful and our hearts are "desperately wicked." My weak body crawls toward selfishness at every opportunity. Why would I keep asking for its opinion?!

Yes, the author is correct in saying mommies shouldn't feel obligated to follow certain programs, just to prove they're "Good Parents." Indeed, there are many ways to feed, dress, and comfort a child, and none is "better" than another.

But, if I plan to avoid the Mommy Competition by constantly asking "how does this make ME feel?" I'm still missing the mark. Whether I worry about impressing other parents or worry about myself, I put the focus on my feelings; and this never really satisfies the soul.

The only true solution (and ultimate purpose of life) is to discover: "How does GOD feel about this?"  And we must pursue His heart, even when it's a spiritual exercise we kind of hate...

 ----
Personally, I don't think God cares whether we use formula or breastmilk. The Eleventh Commandment isn't, "Thou Shalt Daily Use Your Baby Bjorn."

But God DOES expect us to realize healthy things rarely feel good at the time. And He expects us to serve others with reckless abandon--knowing our souls were created to sacrifice the way our bodies were created to move.

This never leads to resentment, until I lapse back into Me-Mode and give my feelings a power they shouldn't hold.  I grow narcissistic, unhappy and, yes, resentful, when I listen to my wickedly deceitful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment