Monday, December 10, 2012

Good Girl

You know the morning has been difficult when a bowl of corn puffs brings Mommy to tears...

----
Cami did NOT sleep long enough last night. And, when she flat refused to eat her yogurt at breakfast, I knew we were gearing for a long, stressful battle.

Cami: Cereal!
Me: You must eat your yogurt first.
(The yogurt already had her vitamin supplement mixed in.)
Cami: *Wailing* NO!!! Cereal!
Me:  You can have cereal after the yogurt. But you eat this first.  (*tries to offer a bite*)
Cami:  *Big, fat tears* NO!!!
Me: Okay, no yogurt, no cereal.
(Cami becomes hysterical and starts screaming.)
Me:  If you're going to scream, I have to put you back to bed. Do you want to go to bed?
Cami:  NO!
Me: Then stop screaming...
(Cami stops for a couple seconds and then loses control again. Mommy tries to distract her with the choice to get down and play with toys, but Cami keeps saying "Cereal!")
Me: Okay, let's go cry in bed for a little while.

Cami spent about ten minutes crying in her room. When I got her out, she was more subdued. So we decided to argue our cases before Daddy. 

Me:  Tell Daddy you were crying.
Cami: Cry.
Daddy: Why did you cry?
Me: (prompting) What did you want?
Cami: Cereal!
Me: She wants cereal, but I told her she has to eat yogurt first.
Cami: No!
Me: See?
Daddy: Oh, Cami, you have to listen to your mommy. Are you hungry?
Cami: Hungry.
Daddy: Okay. Eat your yogurt and then you can have cereal.

Mommy and Cami went to the kitchen to try again...and, much to my dismay, there was an exact repeat of the first conversation.
----
Cami loooooooves yogurt. There was no reason to fight with me, except she wanted our morning to follow her terms. Toddlers are just beginning to understand their will is different from their parents'--and that's why power-struggles and temper-fits abound at this stage...

But, once again, when I watch my sweet, stubborn daughter as she grapples for control, I see a tiny version of myself...

All of us have authority figures over us, and the one I most commonly challenge is my husband. I could come up with a thousand reasons I shouldn't have to submit to his decisions. And I have been known to throw one ugly tantrum if he continues with his plan instead of mine.

Thankfully, my husband is learning to let me "go cry in my room," metaphorically speaking, when I get unreasonable. I cannot be in control all the time. It's good for all of us to learn that lesson.

My mother jokingly referred to me as a "mean Mommy" yesterday, when Cami had a melt-down over a sucker stick I threw away. We realize it's not really "mean" for an adult to assert themselves over an ignorant child. It's good for that kid to learn who's in charge...
----

The third time was a charm, and after about two hours of conflict, Cami announced, "Yogurt." I asked, "You're ready to eat the yogurt now?" and she said, "Eat it."

She did. Every bite.

I cheered and squeezed her and kissed her little face and said, "I'm very proud of you for making a good decision!...
...and NOW you can have cereal!"

While she was enjoying her corn puffs, she looked up at me, smiling, and said, "Good girl!"
How could I not tear up? Cami is actually a sinful girl, who wants to be in charge. But she's learning she can (and does) feel proud when she overcomes this to do good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment