Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hitler, Holocaust, and Her House is on Fire

Some of you may remember when I posted a fictional story about a woman making the most difficult choice of her life: waiting in a smoke-filled room with her infant child--possibly to burn to death--or throwing her baby to the flames as an "act of mercy," then saving herself.

Today, I watched a video which tells the same story a different way. It's the time of Hitler, and a Nazi puts a woman in a bulldozer, in front of a pit of Jews. Then, that Nazi holds a gun to her head and says, "Bury the Jews alive or I will kill you."  What does she do?

The video is only 30 minutes.... Find out what answers average people gave.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.

    He had quite a great method. I was honestly surprised that some of the people he was interviewing didn't walk away.

    I will admit I was only 2 minutes in before I wanted to start shaking people. This video highlighted so many of our different problem in the current American culture. It's unfortunately that most people simply don't want to think anymore. "don't know, don't care" While he was coaching thoughts a bit, there was clearly no manipulation, only linear thought processing. Sadly, most people can't do that on their own anymore.

    Growing up, the absolute worst thing I could say in my mom's presence (other than God's name in vain of course, but way worse than any cuss word) was the phrase, "I don't care..." Funnily enough, that is my sister's favorite phrase. She and her friends say it and live it out with reckless abandon. "I don't care. It's not my problem. I wouldn't choose that..." Sometimes I feel that attitude seeping in and it terrifies me. Obviously, the hard part is to care and to help people without turning into a zealot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video and Ray Comfort's methods are just more proof to me that face-to-face contact is the way to go. People are much less likely to call him names or walk away from him when social rules are keeping them "nice." :)

    Sure, there are a few people who will be total jerks regardless. AND there's probably more than one person who just tells him what he wants to hear in order to get away faster! But I believe there really are some who think about what he's asking and experience lightbulb moments...

    I agree it's sad that people have to be led through critical thinking the way he does it (one question at a time). But, it's just another example of how blinding sin can be. I have to remind myself I'm a dumb sheep, too. Just one mercifully pardoned.

    ReplyDelete