Thursday, September 15, 2011

Insurance

To what extent should Christians prepare for the "just-in-case" scenario? Where is that line between faith in God and taking unnecessary risks?

It's complicated. And, I have no doubt, it MUST be an individual decision.

This topic was brought up by a friend, who is weighing the pros and cons of vaccinating young girls against HPV--a disease contracted through sexual contact which often leads to cervical cancer. Without dispute, two individuals who come together as virgins and remain faithful to each other will not get HPV. But the question becomes: how often does that scenario play out? Can you be sure your child will conform to the plan?

Everybody knows teens experiment with sex, while STDs among them reach epidemic proportions. So, wouldn't a caring mother elect to vaccinate her daughter out of concern she will make a mistake?  Shouldn't I, as a Christian, teach Cami what God desires and then prepare for the worse?

I don't believe so.

Personally, I believe the vaccine is unnecessary if I'm trusting God has a plan for her life. I believe encouraging my daughter to get a vaccine reveals to her that I don't trust her--which sends a mixed signal. That said, I should mention my own mother argues with me.

When I was 20-years-old, I visited the gynecologist for the first time, for a premarital check-up. (This was about 6 months before the wedding.) The doctor really tried to sell me on the Gardisil (HPV) vaccine, and I remember being frustrated by the way he worded things:

 "It only takes having sex one time to catch it!"
"So some people are just born with it?" I asked for clarification.
"No, it's an STD. But it's spreading like crazy, and having sex with an infected person once puts you at risk."
"But, my fiance and I are virgins," I told him.
Again, he repeated, "The virus causes the most common cases of cervical cancer, which could put your unborn children in danger. Is it something you're willing to gamble?"
Finally, I demanded a straight, this-is-the-situation answer: "If two people have sex with ONLY each other, for life, is there a risk for HPV?" I asked.
"No."
"Well, then that sounds like a prenup to me. Thank you, I will opt out." 

I felt comfortable with my decisions, but my mom wasn't happy. She asked, "Are you willing to risk your life on the belief that Luke will be faithful?!" I was dumbfounded. Uh, yeah, that's why I was marrying him. It wasn't just my physical life at stake--my emotional and spiritual health were being invested in him as well. We would become one flesh, eternally united, dependent on each other in every, single way. This way my vote of faith in him--and in the God who oversees our lives. But Mom made the point many, many others are making: "What's wrong with just-in-case protection?"

-----
Now I'm a mother, too, and this issue will present itself AGAIN when Cami is about 9 years old and a candidate for the shot.

The control-freak in me wants to make SURE my baby stays out of trouble. I want to take precaution to guarantee her safety. But the Holy Spirit in me knows that's impossible.

First of all, none of us takes EVERY precaution to ensure physical safety. Kids die in car wrecks all the time, but we still drive with them. Kids choke, but we still feed them. If we wrapped our children in cotton and never let them out of the house, we'd be considered paranoid. So, clearly, there is a fine line between good, protective mother, and clinically insane. So, which risks are worth risking?

Of course, those who say I can't be sure my daughter will remain a virgin until marriage are correct. But those trying to keep their daughters from every pitfall cannot do so, either. Thankfully, it's not my job to worry about it! I'm supposed to teach Cami Jo what God expects of her, and then trust HE will guard her heart and body. Even at 9, I can have an age-appropriate conversation with her about the shot and why Mommy is refusing it. Something to the effect of: "If you follow God's plan for your life, you won't need to worry about getting sick." The rest is up to her...and her Savior.

But, I recognize than many--even other Christians--feel differently, and that is why I stressed the need for an individual choice. This push to pass a law requiring the vaccine for all girls assaults my parental rights. Throughout history, mothers have disagreed about what is best for their children, and no law forcing us to make the same choice will solve the problem. (Some people think feeding a kid fast food is akin to child abuse. Should we outlaw it? Some mothers think it's appropriate to let a boy wear dresses. Should we make a national vote of it?)  

But, specifically about the vaccine. How do you feel? And, while we're at it, how do you feel about Christian couples signing prenuptial agreements? They promise to be together until death, but prepare for the possibility of breaking that promise... Is this wise or wrong?

2 comments:

  1. I think those things aren't preparing for the worst in the sense that we buy car insurance in case of an accident, or homeowners insurance in case trees fall on our houses. A prenup or Gardisil is preparing for deliberate actions--deliberate sins.

    Divorce is wrong, but signing a prenup says, "I want to be prepared in case I do decide to sin." Sex outside of marriage is wrong, but having your daughter get the Gardisil vaccine is saying, "I don't expect you to live a godly life. I expect you to disregard God."

    In the end, these things don't prepare us for the worst-case scenario. They prepare us to *create* the worst-case scenario. Just like telling kids to save it right before we hand them condoms, prenups and STD vaccines say, "Yeah, this is the ideal. But this way, it won't be such a problem if we don't make it. We'll still land on our feet." And when that moment of temptation comes, we have an easier time of brushing it off.

    We shouldn't, though. We should feel like it's a problem. Insurance for a car is dandy. Accidents happen. But when it comes to actual sin, our lack of "insurance" helps keep us on the right track. No prenup means working harder to save your marriage. No Gardisil means asking God to give you strength to stay pure. THAT is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany: Just so you know, you can come summarize my posts ANY time you'd like. :) You boiled it down perfectly.

    ReplyDelete