Saturday, January 22, 2011

Get Off God's Lap

I have become increasingly disappointed with women's devotionals. Apparently, every one of my sister's in Christ is a D-personality, task-oriented, hurried and harried, and pulled in all different directions. And, devotion writers have responded by delivering the message, over and over again, "Jesus is the safe place to curl up with a nice cup of coffee and unwind."

We are handed the story of Mary and Martha, under the assumption that all Christian women are Marthas, wearing themselves out in service and simply needing more down time. We are given the example of the woman with the bleeding issue and told we just need "a touch" from Jesus' cloak, like she did. And, through these stories and personal examples of "PTA meetings, soccer games, church responsibilities, and laundry" the writers of women's devotions constantly praise our activities while inviting us to the Jesus Spa. There, we can "step back," "take a break," and "spend a little time--just you and God." Change nothing else! This is all you need to live a complete, Christian life.

Part of my issue is that I can see this misguided advice for what it is because I do not have PTA meetings, soccer games, or loads of other typical, American-mom responsibilities, and I know from experience that loads of freetime/me-time isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sure, I keep busy with my job at the daycare, house-keeping, and other details. But, ultimately, I find plenty of down time and chances to spend in God's Lap, and I've found He doesn't want to massage my shoulders and let me return to the things which are breaking me down to begin with.

So, my main problem with the so-called solution to "get a little God" is this tactic presents a Christianized version of the message the world sends ALL women: "Be more selfish."

"Yes, you are superwoman, and the hand which rocks the cradle rules the world. But everybody needs time for themselves. So, take a minute and relax! You deserve it! Then you will feel prepared enough to go right back to the draining, lifeless activities which brought you here..."

I probably should clarify I don't mean to suggest that prayer and time with God inherently are selfish. Only let me explain, with no exaggeration, that eight out of ten devotions I get in my email are telling me to take more time for me. Every time I'm looking to hear a word from God, I'm told the word is "rest, sit down, take a load off." And I just have to wonder when God is going to tell me what He told his disciples:

"GO!"

"Don't just sit here, waiting for Me to make you feel better. I've already promised to give you whatever you give me--pressed down, shaken together, and running over. That includes time and energy. If you're feeling drained and tired all the time, perhaps your goals aren't the same as Mine. So, sit down long enough to get your instructions. Then, GO! I'll go with you, but go."

A hot drink and bubble bath can fix a lot of things. And if you are an over-worked Martha, you won't be able to go anywhere until you've spent time recouperating. But, no amount of rest will substitute for the fact that we were created to do things for the Kingdom. And, if you aren't fulfilled by the meetings, games, and chore list, may I suggest the very core of your system is broken--beyond what a quick trip to God's Lap can "fix?"

Take it from someone blessed with the opportunity to snuggle up and listen for God's voice with frequency--He isn't waiting like a pit crew to polish your hood, change the worn tires, and send you out for more of the same. He won't affirm your daily, spirit-killing routine, just because you turn him into a half-hour coffee break. And, shock of all shocks, He doesn't always agree that you are a hard-working, selfless individual, deserving of more, more, more. You can hear that from any commercial or talk show host in the country.

Rest in God's arms when the battle gets heated. But don't take His comfort as a license for selfishness. Don't run back to home base looking for peace, when you really need to get out of your comfort zone for awhile.

Go, look for opportunities to turn that selfishness into service, and you may just feel less "busy" and more "energized" than ever.

Go.

3 comments:

  1. You are spot on, Amanda! I have found women's devotional's and Bible studies unfulfilling and sometimes downright demeaning for years. "GO" prayerfully, listening for God's prompting and watching for the opportunities He provides. There is work to do all around us and we will be shown if we look and helped if we ask. And read the Bible and pray for ourselves. We don't need to answer trite, shallow questions about someone else opinion of that we should be reading for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like you amanda....you and I talk alike im learning about righteous anger and growing up i was taught "being angry is wrong" when in reality being Angry is ok! Jesus was angry he didnt want into his father house when it was being turned into a circus and say "take a load off guys this isnt right ok we need to take a step back" he had rage and went nuts...So this blog spoke to me different...in a good way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the irony is this post makes a perfect devotion! Thank you for speaking truth. :)

    ReplyDelete