Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Love Feels Like a Trick

Did I really do it again?

Did I perk up when somebody wrote they had "yet to hear a logical argument against gay marriage" and take that as a personal cue to jump in? Yes, yes. I did.
When a homosexual friend posted that the House voted in support of the gay marriage ban, he commented, "looks like I'm still a second-class citizen." And someone else agreed the whole thing is unfair (and he hasn't heard a good reason for the ban).

So, that's when I said: "I, too, have been the victim of discrimination. Just the other day, somebody told me I couldn't be Hispanic. I thought this was a free country? They said I can learn Spanish, paint my skin darker--I could live the life of a Hispanic. But, ultimately, the very definition of the word still requires me to have a Latino ancestor. That's excluding me from something because of my genes! Turns out I can't be a cat or get the Senior discount at McDonald's, either. There is no justice."

I have other thoughts on homosexuality. Many of them are described in this article. And this one. And this one. Aaaaaaaand this one.

But, I know full well the extent of emotion attached to this subject, so--despite the fact that no one has taken up the other side of the debate yet--I am left feeling defeated in advance. I fully anticipate the name-calling and accusations of "you're totally close-minded" when somebody argues the opposing view, but not the rational exchange of ideas I'm craving. And I can't help but think the person mentioned above probably HAS heard a logical argument before, but easily could have missed it... Like marriage, we are redifining the term based on emotions and whatever gets repeated the most.

My dad posted a quote to Facebook recently: "When you appeal to logic, you really only appeal to 4% of the population." This, too, makes me feel sad and defeated, because to what, then, do we appeal? I know there are ways to win arguments besides proving yourself right. But it feels wrong to use them.

I've read the book How to Win Friends and Influence People. I've also read the Bible. Both books tell me that you can advance your cause by offering a listening ear, compassion, and generally making others feel good about themselves. Dale Carnegie says, basically, make the other person think he is the most important person in the room. The Bible says "love" people. Either way, it's a similar concept. People will flock to you if they like how you make them feel.

Yet, I struggle. Attempting to change minds and win souls with only love feels like a trick.

What makes me better than a propoganda-touting politician, who kisses butts--I mean, babies--and wins elections on charm alone? At what point does my love turn into a marketing ploy to sell Jesus? And won't a new Christian simply wither under pressure if their roots only dig as deep as my compliments have planted them--if they have no reason for agreeing with me except "she's a nice girl?"

No, there must remain SOME room for sound logic...right? I can't bare tossing reason aside in favor of emotional appeals. I hate when people bring up personal stories or reference death while trying to make a point. ("We must spend $4.6 billion a year because trees are DYING!!!!") Yet, must I resort to declaring, "Jesus died on the cross for you" without explaining why I believe the Bible to be trust-worthy in the first place?

I'm stuck. I don't want to manipulate people into agreement. There is no need to be crafty, since I'm searching for the truth and can offer reasons for my beliefs. But my reasons are useless if it's true that 96% of the world judges situations on feelings alone...

Oh, Lord, use me to change minds and win souls...even though the message of your unconditional love feels like a cheap trick on those too stubborn or lazy or corrupted to use their minds.

9 comments:

  1. "How to Win Friends and Influence People." excellent book read 4 times reading it again for counseling lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally chuckled at your comment and went to FB to check that you did indeed post it to our ol' pal's feed. And not at all to my surprise, not only had you actually written that, but people have even liked it! well done.

    Logic vs emotion. Emotion vs logic. I, too, often struggle with this. Ask my mother, often do I loudly sigh and whine, "but whhhhhy can't they just beeee logical...ugh." emotional manipulation. ugh.

    And ever time I come up with reasons that they should be logical and not emotion, I'm left realizing I've just been logical again.

    Thus, I'm training myself to be able to cry on command.

    Hopefully I can get to the point where I can cough and cry at the same night. Because, really, who deserves more of our consideration, an intelligent, topically educated person or a pitifully sick, sad girl with glasses? And as long as we are scratching our heads about that stumper, I'll train for both. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be another post all together. But, since my kindred spirit has joined the discussion, I'll throw it out there. :)
    I think the hardest thing about a logical, truth-filled discussion is all the TIME it requires. It's much easier to appeal to emotion--with no advanced preparation--than to back up your thoughts with facts and research. And, when it comes to moral beliefs, explanations require you to share your entire worldview. Each answered question leads to another, "but why do you believe THAT...and then, why do you believe THAT...?" I can give those reasons, too, but it's a time-consuming, worldview-unraveling process that people generally don't care enough to go through. (That's why I'm a bit frustrated with God for telling me to be prepared to give an answer...People rarely ask, and never want to hear the whole thing.)

    On the other hand, any moron can say, "Well, that just seems unfair" and call it reasonable. I think this phenomenon is partly responsible for liberal media biases. News anchors have 30-60 seconds to convey their story. They can select maybe 3 or 4 quotes to share. But, most of the time, truth requires more digging than that. It isn't soundbite friendly and can't be summed up in a cute phrase. If you seek truth, you will find it. But seeking can be hard. And you have to be ready for long, critical, intentional examination of ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where exactly did your dad get this 4% number that appears to be pulled from thin air? (Usually in logical arguments, there are citations, yes? And this 4% is the basis of your argument, even...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently, he's reading a book called "Charlatan" about a dude in the 1920's who made a FORTUNE placing goat testicles into men in order to 'revitalize' them.

    So, you're right, it's not a documented statistic or a quote from a lab study or anything. I'm assuming it was said by somebody lamenting a society that would agree to goat testicle operations. Somebody was just trying to find an exagerrated way to say, "People don't use their heads." And that's what I was trying to say, too. Generally, people don't use their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you explain the logic behind your comment? I don't understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will try, assuming you aren't being facetious. Except, I'm not exactly sure how to explain more thoroughly.

    My point wasn't intended for a research paper or to "prove" something specific. For that, I like to cite statistics or quote history. Instead, I was agreeing with the guy from the book "Charlatan"--who found an exaggerated way to say, basically, "people don't think very often."

    People tend to FEEL first and think later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't being facetious. But I meant the facebook comment regarding homosexuals and discrimination. I would like to understand your point in this post but I can't understand the logic in that comment, which is crucial to the understanding of this post...yeah. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I see now.

    Okay, with that quote, I was referencing the homosexual desire to change the very definition of marriage. If we can change what something means so easily, why can't I re-define the races?

    Homosexuals may be born with same-sex desire (the way someone could be born with the desire to be a different race), but to demand MARRIAGE to someone of the same sex is impossible by definition. Why can't I marry my two cats together? Or why can't two trucks get married? Well, that's not part of the DEFINITION. But, neither is "marriage" possible between two people of the same gender.

    In short, I was saying: if civil rights are violated when someone dislikes a definition based on a genetic situation, then I should be able to change my racial status to Hispanic, if it would make me happy...

    Is that a little more clear?

    ReplyDelete