Friday, February 25, 2011

A Feminist for the Rest of Us

First of all, I'm wondering if anyone caught my attempt to parallel this post's title with a Seinfeld episode? (The one about the Fesitvus?....Anyone?...."Fesivus for the rest of us"???) Okay, maybe it was a stretch. But I tried.

Anyway, I wrote a post several weeks ago about a feminist organization's dissent toward the practice of promoting marriage. They believe the government should mandate pay increases for women, as well as subsidize childcare costs and housing costs, rather than encourage single moms to team up and work with a partner. (This is despite the fact that research shows married women are happier, children being raise by both parents are more stable, and people working together to take care of their own expenses used to be the whole point of living independently in a free society. Nope. We're supposed to shut up and pay up to help single women.)

Generally, every time I hear a female politician speak, she champions this belief that women need the government to rise to their potential. And it makes me want to scream. They march in the name of feminism, but they turn women into the most helpless creatures on the planet--incapable of moving up without taxpayer handouts. Meanwhile, women like me who have educated themselves, who will bargain with their bosses over compensation if we're unhappy with the payscale, and who choose a marriage partnership for better financial security (and to give our legitimate children a sound growing environment) are told we're uncaring for expecting others to do the same.

This is why I tend to hate feminism. It's not that I hate the original intent of the "movement"--but I loathe what it has become.

Then, I found this woman. Though she's female and talks politics routinely, I didn't want to scream at her. Technically, as someone concerned with women's issues in welfare, family dynamics, and abortion, she must be a "feminist." Yet I actually LIKE her! It's a strange adjustment.

This lady understands government programs first hand. She admits she once treated Uncle Sam like a husband, after being caught in the self-entitlement beliefs of the early 70's. ("I deserve it! I need it!") But eventually she became a Christian and realized she could do far better for herself than any politician could give her. She escaped the system and began a business of her own. (Also, she got married.) Now, her organization shows others how to break free of government dependence and discover that Uncle Sam is no replacement for a solid, self-supporting family.

Please follow the link and then listen to her interview. We need more strong women like THIS in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment