Monday, April 25, 2011

It's All About the F-Word

Yesterday was Easter Sunday. I had so hoped to be in the hospital meeting the McBaby over the weekend, but if I had, I would have missed a pretty terrific sermon.  Originally, our pastor wanted to title it "The Real F-Bomb," but one of the elders (a rather elderly one) was concerned that "someone might think you mean something else!"  Hehe. 

(As a side note, there is another elderly man in our church who I took for being the same sweet, easily-scandalized type, until he whispered to Luke yesterday, "That baby felt a whole lot better going in then it will coming out!"   I laughed! Part of me can't wait until Luke is an old man telling slightly sketchy jokes in church...)

Anyway, the baby was wiggling and distracting me a bit, but I'm glad I caught the "bottom line," when Dr. Max said, "I'm not different from the world because I'm perfect now. I'm different because I'm forgiven."

Pause for sink-in effect.

It's a simple truth all young Christians are taught in Sunday school--and most non-Christians are familiar with it (they just don't believe it). We ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We are not fit for the Kingdom of God. The holiness of God demands perfection, and no human is perfect. So, what are we to do about it?

Cling to Jesus. THAT'S what makes me a Christian.

Now, Paul warns that we should question our faith if we don't look and act differently than the world. Jesus changes hearts from the inside--so, if we never spend any time in prayer, never make an effort to serve, and generally look and act like an unbeliever...  Well, you've heard the expression "If it looks like a duck and acts like a duck."  The reverse is true, too. It it doesn't look like a duck or act like a duck or sound like a duck, why would you call it a duck?

But, ultimately, what seperates us from the world is not our super-actions here on earth. It's a priveledge--a right--to which we have laid claim and will pull from our back pockets on Judgement Day.

When God says to me, "Amanda, you lived a self-absorbed life."  I will say, "Yes, Lord. I know I've struggled to put others ahead of myself."  But that won't be enough.

He'll say, "You were full of pride, and you let your emotions run away with you countless times...I can list them for you."

And I'll beg, "Please don't, Lord! I admit, I haven't practiced what I preach--not all the time!"  But, admitting I'm wrong isn't enough.

God will say, "You claimed to love the truth, but you told several lies in your lifetime. That violates my law. You may not have robbed banks, but you have stollen attention and taken self-esteem from others. And, though you never carved a physical image of some false god, you constantly worshiped your children, your money, and your own preferences in my place.  YOU ARE GUILTY." 

I may cry, "Jehovah, I tried to be a good person!"  But, He will reply, "I told you in my Word: even one infraction of the law is punishable by death. Look at your list of offenses! What do you have to say for yourself?" ...and, trembling, I'll think back to my life on earth for some excuse to offer.

This is the point that seperates the Christians from the rest. This is where I will point to Jesus, sitting next to His Father and declare, "I'm with Him!" 

I imagine He'll look at me, smile, and say, "Hi, Peaches! I've been waiting for you!"  And the look of disgust on the Judge's face will change to beautiful acceptance.

"Well done, good and faithful servant. Your sins have been forgiven. Now come spend eternity with Me."

-----
Becoming a Christian doesn't MAKE somebody a better person. In fact, those who declare, "This is what I believe!" actually make things harder on themselves, because they open themselves to scrutiny and judgement. Anybody who reads our standard for living can see precisely where I fall short. Anybody who picks up a Bible can say, "Hey! You don't look exactly like Jesus!"

And they are right.

I've spent a good amount of time on this blog talking about what's wrong with the world and what people--including myself--"ought" to do. But, I write predominantly for those who already have taken care of the "bottom line." I write for those prepared for the Judgement, but who want to produce fruit and make their heart changes apparent here on earth. I'm interested in politics, education, family dynamics, and a whole host of other categories, for which the Bible offers guiding principles to Christians. But these discussions must take place after the Big Picture has been resolved--after salvation has been secured.

I'm concerned about selflessnes and service because I've already been forgiven. It's all about forgiveness first.

No comments:

Post a Comment