Tuesday, June 19, 2012

To Dunk or Not to Dunk?

When Luke and I first started dating, there were several doctrinal differences we needed to address.

Early on, a book by Charles Capps sparked a memorable argument.  Also, Luke's background in the pentecostal church demanded a frank discussion about the Word-Faith movement.

But, it was my church which placed a heavy emphasis on baptism.  For all my conservative upbringing, I've discovered those (like me) who "dunk" new converts actually represent the radical side of this particular Church controversy...

----
What does the Bible say about baptism? This author calls it the elephant in the room; but he goes on to discuss his views in a refreshingly simple way. I agree with him all around.

I like this line, because I think all of us can agree to start here: "Sometimes what we think makes sense needs to be less important to us than what scripture says - even if we think our way is better."

So, what do you make of all the scriptures referring to baptism, dear reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment