Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Write-a-Letter Wednesday, Dear Sisters

*Preface: My little sister, Tabby, turned 15-years-old yesterday. And my sister-in-law, Megan, and I have been talking a lot about life and love, as she has been dating her boyfriend for eons now. I guess she figures if anyone can commiserate it's the one who dated her brother for over four years!...No, wait. I don't mean to insinuate that I dated MY brother. I dated Megan's brother for over four years. And then we got married--Megan's brother and I. That's how we became sisters-in-law. Megan and I.
My point is, I'm stationed way up here in Fort Wayne, while both of my sisters are in Kokomo, and I kind of miss those little buggers. So, here is a letter full of sisterly love, for the lovely lady siblings of mine.

Dear Tabs and Megz,
For whatever reason, I'm really craving some girl time right now. I had a daydream yesterday involving me, the two of you, and Panera Bread for some soup. That sounds like a lot of fun to me, and I think the reason for that is two-fold:
  1. I'm finally starting to eat stuff other than crackers, and I feel like celebrating with an overpriced broccoli and cheese breadbowl.
  2. It finally has occurred to me that I don't need to find a homeless kid or register with Big Brothers, Big Sister to mentor a young adult. I happen to be a sister already.

I was trying to explain to one of my prayer partners exactly WHY I've felt down and depressed lately, and he suggested I needed more rest. He said, "I've had four or five people call me this week asking for counsel or advice, and sometimes we just need to turn off the phone to take care of ourselves!" But, that's when I realized I have the exact opposite problem: I hardly invest in people at all. And, unfortunately, that includes my own family members.

Well, the boys will get their turn next week, when I write to them. But I'm taking this chance to speak to my sisters--as the not-much-older, not-much-wiser, but still interested (and opinionated) older one.

Tabby: I'm soooooo thrilled with the kind of person you've become. Mom says you're really busy with soccer, honors classes, piano, etc. But I'm excited because I know you can handle it, and you've arrived at that point where your trials just make you stronger instead of breaking you down. (That's what this blog is all about, and you are practicing it already!) Most girls your age annoy me because they are totally self-centered, emotional, and generally clueless about life. Plus, even if they know they are self-centered, emotional, and clueless, they don't care--as long as their hair looks good.

Thank you for not being that way. You're funny, well-rounded, mature, and I don't worry about the things you "get in to," because you appreciate clean entertainment. AND, I'm proud of the way you seek God's will for your life. It's the Heavenly perspective that will keep you from falling into the shallow problems your friends may.

The only thing about which you should be concerned is finding a man who can handle your big, intimidating personality. It may be hard to locate that mate who can challenge you and lead you, when you're so strong on your own. And, since you've experienced the love of Christ, your standards are high already.

But, I'm so excited to help however I can as your love life becomes more serious. And I want to have talks about colleges, careers, the stupid things your friends do, and a whole lot of other stuff, too...

Megan: I am SO glad we get along. It's easy to take that kind of thing for granted--mostly because you're the kind of person who everybody likes. But, take my word for it (as somebody who has been known to rub people the wrong way): not all in-laws like each other!

The fact that you have been keeping me up to date and trusting me with the details of your life means a ton. And, though you're probably inflating my ego in dangerous ways, I want to thank you for letting me share what I've learned about wifehood, finances, and the spiritual tests which come with both. If I can tell my stories and make things a little easier for someone else, it almost makes me glad for my problems. Almost.

You're very sweet, Megz. You're driven and passionate, and you have a logical, practical head on your shoulders. As we've discussed, the biggest problem for logical, practical people like us is taking those leaps of faith. And I'm proud of you for beginning to face your fears in the name of trusting God. I CANNOT WAIT to see the ways you're blessed because of it. (Okay, and I'm also looking forward to whining with you when things get frustrating. ha! As you know, life won't be peaches and cream all the time, and.....misery loves company!)

Sometimes I really, really wish I lived a little closer, so I could spend more time with both of you! (By the way, there is a Panera in Kokomo, right? This could be turning into a full-blown craving.) Truthfully, I've been missing you guys...

Both of you are special individuals, who aren't afraid to be different as long as you're walking in the truth. And that's a beautiful thing. I want you to know I'm here to help however I can. And my house always is open, although you would need a ride, Tabs, and both of you should be prepared to use a paintbrush if you came in the next couple weeks. I would love the chance to take a little credit for the great women you have become, so please ask me questions! ;)

And, know that I love you both.

~Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment