Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Confession and a Mission

Confession: I've never read the Bible straight through....

I've read most of it, and I've studied, scrutinized, wrestled with, and even memorized substantial portions. And I mean it when I insist the more time I spend with the Bible, the more I appreciate the way it changes me. But I've never made it through the book from beginning-to-end.

Mission: Change that problem.

And this time, I have a game plan I think I can stick with.
Thanks to the "reading plans" from Crosswalk.com, all I have to do is read what it puts on the screen for me every day, and I will make it through the Bible in a year. I don't have to carry a copy of scripture with me or remember to pack a devotional book when I take an overnight trip. All I have to do is find a computer and mark the little box that says "I did it" when I'm finished.

The past two days, I've been reading those selections first thing in the morning, along with saying that day's prayer for Luke (from Stormie Omartian's Power of a Praying Wife) and reading one of the 30 Things I Need to Tell My Husband. Plus, when I'm already on Crosswalk.com, I tend to see interesting articles or forum questions that I can't resist peeking into--usually about parenting or teaching.

SOOOO, with all that reading material, I've run into several interesting quotes I'd like to share.
I thought about dedicating a post to each quote seperately, but why do I feel I need to tell you guys what to think all the time? Maybe you'll appreciate the quotes by themselves, the way I did, WITHOUT my commentary.

"The perfectionist often expects more from others than she does from herself."

"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible."

"There is nothing wrong with a marriage that sacrifice won't heal."

Okay now that I've re-read those and remembered how good they are, I know I won't be able to resist giving my own thoughts about them in the near future.

But not today.

Wish me luck on my Bible-reading endevours!

No comments:

Post a Comment