Thursday, July 15, 2010

But It Comes With a Toy...

6:30 AM
Boy: Will Olivia be here today?
Me: Probably.
Boy: Will Jake be here today?
Me: Probably.
Boy: Will Landyn be here today?
Me: Well, what do you think?
Boy: Yeah, he always bes here.

7:45 AM
Girl: Honey! Come here, Honey! Honey!
Boy: I'm NOT YOUR HUSBAND! ...I'm Peter Pan.
(A few minutes later, the boy was yelling, "Tinkerbell!!!" and the girl replied, "Excuse me, I have to die now.")

8:00 AM
Boy: Welcome to Burger King and we're out of fries.
Speech Therapist: Well, what should I get then?
Boy: You can have onion rings.
Speech Therapist: Okay, how much do I owe you?
Boy: $100
Speech Therapist: Um, I think that's too expensive for me...
Boy: But, it comes with a toy!

****
I've been at the daycare a lot this week, substituting for a vacationing coworker. But in the meantime, my servant-attitude has been on the fritz.
For some reason, I've been unmotivated, impatient, and looking at the clock more often than usual...

I make excuses like I'm not getting enough sleep and the kids have been especially difficult the last few days. And there is some truth in both statements.

True, a boy with Downs who has been potty-trained for over two years is wetting his pants twice a day for no reason. And, true, my little Creative Genius keeps losing the battle with impulse control and BITING anyone who upsets him. And, yes, there is a young one who gets "stuck" on certain phrases until you think his repetitions will bore a hole in your head.

....But this is my job, and God has made it clear He has things to teach me through the challenges in that classroom. Plus, despite the pandemonium, I have found myself giggling several times about something the kids have said. Why shouldn't I focus on those positives?

Although special education can feel like a meal that costs $100--at least it comes with a toy.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember amanda IT DOES comes with a toy and STAY positive i have :D

    ReplyDelete