Monday, July 12, 2010

Parenthood: Less Fun Than it Looks

This article sums up everything I could have written on the subject of parenting, at least until I acquire a child of my own. But after coming face to face with the statistics about general happiness in parenthood, it's a wonder more people in my position choose to have kids at all!

Research shows: "Parents are less happy than non-parents, parents of infants and toddlers are especially not happy, single parents are less happy than married parents, and mothers are less happy than fathers. Except, that is, when it comes to single fathers, who are the most unhappy of all."

I've long been suspicious that raising children is the same trial-filled, refining-fire type of arrangement marriage is. We fall in love with the idea of cute baby feet and baby coos the way we fantasize about being "Mrs. So-and-so" or decorating our own home. And then we realize it's HARD.

But, as I've said many times in this blog already, "hard" isn't "bad." Difficulties inspire growth and make us more like Christ. So, I conclude with the author of this article: happiness isn't the goal anyway. And, since that's the case, bring on the babies. (Er...someday.)

Read it here. It's good:
http://www.crosswalk.com/11634447/

No comments:

Post a Comment