Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Things We Do....

I've heard this phrase a lot lately. Somebody tells a story about cleaning up a nasty mess, and the listener remarks, "The things we do for our kids!" Or a husband relays a tale about struggling to plan the perfect date, and we exclaim, "The things we'll do for love!"

Now I agree those acts of service can be beautiful, sacrificial things. BUT, are they really the best examples of "the things we do for love?" And if so, are we content with that?

I'm asking because I babysat for friends last night--for about 6 hours--and I didn't charge them for my time. Then, I helped another friend load her moving truck this morning. And, sometimes I'm tempted to shake my head and think, "The things I get myself into for my friends!"

But, you know, those thoughts are awfully self-righteous. Where do I get the audacity to feel smug about my tiny gifts of service when Christ demonstrated an agonizing, completely-sacrificial love for me on the cross? The everyday examples of "things I do" are shallow and even comfortable in comparison to real service.

On the other hand, what about the wife who remains by the side of her brain-injured husband even after a tragic accident? How about the family that forgives the drunk driver that took away their loved one? We tend to elevate those people as saints or angels, with incredible capacities for selflessness. We consider their examples extraordinary, rather than playfully saying to them, "The things we do for love!" The truth is, we don't don't those things...

What a shame. Because those people are the most Christ-like of all.

If the diapers I change, the dishes I wash, and the food I cook are the only ways I give to others in an average week--and if a couple hours of moving boxes or babysitting tempts me to grow an ego--then I'm embarassed by the sheer smallness of the things I do....

No comments:

Post a Comment