Friday, June 18, 2010

The First Post--The Struggle to Serve

I don't like pain. But, I can see how you may get that impression. The most important parts of my life also cause the biggest physical, emotional, and spiritual struggles.

I work in a daycare which provides service to children 3-12 years old--many of whom have disabilities. These days, a large number of our kids are emotionally and behaviorally out of control. Some are violent. And, after two years of teaching in a classroom where being kicked and bitten is a real possibility, I still have no plans to leave.

Also, I married my highschool sweetheart when both of us were 20, and we moved promptly into a tiny house on the edge of a rough neighborhood. Both of us were full-time students with jobs, and we had our share of fights resulting from being overworked and over-tired. When we weren't warring against eachother, we battled a leaky roof, raw sewage in the bathroom, heater issues, etc. People tried to warn us it would be hard, and we believed them. But we jumped into marriage anyway--fully knowing it would be a struggle.

Really, I DON'T like pain.
But, it seems I'm drawn to painful situations.

*****

When people run into hard work, frustration, and pain in their lives, they often assume they've made big mistakes to bring them about. They think: Maybe I chose the wrong career? Married the wrong person? Maybe I had kids too early and didn't spend enough time being young? There has to be a reason everyday life is maddening.
They assume things can't be right if there is discontentment....apathy.....suffering.

But, is it possible we give too much credit to our "feelings?" Is it possible that being uncomfortable is GOOD sometimes?

I think our obsession with our own feelings is the ultimate selfishness. And I believe our perspective on pain drives us mad, not the pain itself. We want to be strong individuals of good character, but we don't want to handle the trials it takes to get there. So, what if we stopped judging situations solely by how we felt, and started acting on what we knew was right instead? What if we lived in sold-out service, the way Jesus did, instead of focusing on the difficulty of doing so?

I don't like pain. And I'm certainly no Paul, the Champion Sufferer. But, I will be blogging as God teaches me to serve Him in even the most unpleasant situations. When I'm sore from being kicked in the shins at the daycare, I'll talk about it here. When I'm struggling to serve my husband, I'll tell you about it. When my car breaks down, my friends don't call, and my talents go unappreciated, I'll share the experience here. And, I expect to learn a lot about giving in service, regardless of how I feel.

Commiserate with me. AND celebrate with me, too. I believe God wants to turn our selfishness into service.

No comments:

Post a Comment