Thursday, August 5, 2010

Raising Children who Serve

Dr. Michelle Anthony is excited about the same things I am. She wants to teach her kids to be servant-minded Christ-followers--but she knows the only way to achieve that goal is to model servanthood herself...

What would happen if Christ's Church made serving a priority and actually got their hands dirty? Would our neighborhoods be changed if we took a rake or a mower door-to-door and loved our neighbors free of charge? If I opened my wallet or my home or my own transportation service, would people still ask the government to meet their needs?

Would someone be permanently impacted if--despite being tired from working all day--I put down these pistachios, shut my computer, and performed an act of kindness?

I read Dr. Anthony's article this morning.
She decided to quit making excuses--even good ones like having a job and a busy family--and she spent time being an intentional servant for once. She and some friends drove around town asking the question, "What needs to be done here?" and then they did it.

Her experience is goosebump-inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment