Saturday, August 28, 2010

This Post is NOT About the Baby

I'm struggling here, guys.

I'd love to tell you funny or inspiring stories about my adventures in selflessness, but I have been THE MOST SELFISH PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE the last few weeks... I get up, go to work and put some kids on the bus, come back home, sleep, go back to work in time to put my students to sleep, then I think about how hungry I am or how soon I will be able to sleep again. (Please Note: I did not mention the reason I'm feeling hungry and tired all the time.)

Seriously, my productivity is hovering around zero, and--though I'm still on target to finish reading the Bible in a year--I haven't allowed God much opportunity to speak. Then again, maybe He's trying to tell me something through my crazy-hormone dreams, in Old Testament style fasion. In that case, I need to find a modern Joseph to explain the meaning of a vision in which I climb the church tower and discover some electronic box, which immediately starts counting down from 30 seconds. When it reaches zero, the church bells start playing a loud, rock song, interrupting prayer, and further causing dead bodies to fall from the ceilings...

Anyway! My point is, I've been very busy being self-absorbed, (again, for an undisclosed reason), and have very little idea what to write about unless I give a shout-out to the member of my household who has taken over the quest to be servant-minded in my temporary absence: my husband.

Oh, also I need to mention that a friend of mine referred me to a website recently, which is run by a very funny 20-something girl--who uses the program "Paint" to illustrate her blog posts. I was told the only thing that could make my blog better was little pictures like this. Ordinarily, I have a strict rule against duplicating someone's good idea unless I can do it better, and I KNOW my artistic skills are not up to par. But, I aim to please. So, consider this an act of service to you personally, Beth. :) You are the only creature other than ME whom I have considered in ten days!

This is precisely what Luke has been going through, in picture form:

___________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________

So, no, this post ISN'T about the baby. It's about Luke, who has been so incredibly sweet I would pinch myself if it didn't require so much enery. He even texted me yesterday and said, "Thanks for being so encouraging." (I guess he appreciated the "you rock, Honey?")

Thanks to Beth for the idea for this post, and let this inspire the rest of you to let me know what would make the blog better. I promise it will be at least as pathetic as this attempt! And, before you try to encourage me with, "Yeah, but your depiction of the couch and TV were pretty good!" I must confess. I got tired and asked Luke to draw the last one.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly...that rocked my socks off! Thank you for the shout 'out'! My favorite illustration would have to be you on the floor threatening to kill the hungry cat! I love the sweat dripping from Luke too, great image!

    You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. Except in my case, I'm taking one last class and not working. And I usually still expect Jonathan to do half of the house work even though he works 40 hours a week. How unfair is that? At least we recognize our selfishness--that's kind of a step (or at least a quick glance) in the right direction...

    P.S. I very much enjoyed your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete