Thursday, August 19, 2010

How Much Does the Thought Count?

I talk a lot about the times our plans to be loving or thoughtful are thwarted by our own selfishness. But what about the times when our intentions are correct and the message still doesn't make it through? Thanks to the auto-correct function in cell phones, this happens with some frequency.

Something happened to my phone several months ago which convinced it to add a question mark whenever it feels like it--especially after the word "you." I won't even try to guess how many times my husband has received the message: "I love you?" or "I'm glad I married you?"

Three-letter words are the most dangerous, as my mother-in-law proved the day she sent a very urgent-sounding text: "Get has now. You will have to say 30 bent more tonight!" (Translation: Gas prices are about to spike....They'll go up about 30 "bents.") And my dad routinely struggles with the word "home," since his phone prefers, "I'll be good soon."

But, I sent my favorite scrambled message one day last winter, after I slid all the way to work on the ICY streets and warned my husband: "Be careful. The roads are very gay."

In these situations, it really was the thought that counted. Most text messages don't carry critical information. (Though, Luke had to clarify just how, exactly, to prepare for gay roads.) But, when we're involved in serving others, we need to be aware our actions are extremely important--more so than our intentions.

People live by the "thought counts" rule when they make a mistake themselves, but we tend to assume the worst when someone else errs. Take the example of the Ground Zero Mosque...everybody seems to think the Muslims want to build on that property just to pour salt on America's wounds. But few consider the possibility that Muslims see it as a chance to reverse the negative impression on New York. Could their move be an attempt to live in harmony rather than incite everyone taking it personally?

Along those lines, how many times have Christians made terrible mistakes in their efforts to "witness" because they don't understand other cultures? If we take tracts and Bibles to tribes that are starving--rather than food--is it still the thought that counts? At least we aren't a "radical," "militant" religious group bent on attacking freedom everywhere, right? The people of the world should understand our hearts are in the right place and accept our charity as we intended it.

Or..... just maybe.... until we can judge others solely on their intentions, we should be very careful that our eyes, hands, and feet always convey the message of our hearts.

Thanks again for reading, guys! I really appreciate you?

No comments:

Post a Comment