Monday, August 9, 2010

Nothing Like a Long Conversation (especially a 12-hour one)

So, shout out to my friend, Gwen.

She asked if we could meet for dinner, since she was driving through my neck of the woods on her way from Chicago to her grandparents' house in central Indiana. But our surprise dinner turned into a surprise sleepover because we couldn't stop talking.

At midnight, we realized her grandparents probably would be more freaked out than glad to see her if she bounced through their door... so we just continued chatting until 2:00am. yay! I can't remember the last time I talked until 2:00!

I'd love to have a transcript of the conversation, because it was just what I was praying for. (Turns out, people annoy Gwen, too. haha.) But, since we literally talked for hours, I'll have to settle for sharing just one thing she said that clicked with me.

First of all, we talked a lot about the difficulty of being with Christians who've been "babies" for a long time. To reference the "milk" vs. "meat" principle, it's hard to find people who are ready for a steak these days. For example, I said something about how sad it is that people come to Christ due to the scariness of Hell, rather than because their souls yearn for God. People believe the only draw of Heaven is streets of gold and....the ability to fly? Or something? And it's soooo much more.

As a kid, I remember thinking the material treasures in Heaven probably aren't worth an eternity, and I was afraid I'd get bored. But if I had understood the completeness that comes from finally being able to feel God's love, all the time, then the last thing I would have needed was a sermon about the horrors of Hell. I just wish everybody could understand that, too.

But, Gwen said something very sensible: All of us have to start with a basic understanding of Heaven. Part of the Christian journey comes from having incorrect views and changing them over time.... I had to misunderstand Heaven's treasures on my own path before coming to a more mature grasp of the concept.

I'm very concerned with feeding Christians big-kid meals--which is important. BUT, it occurred to me that I often risk choking a baby Christian on those solid foods, just because I'm sick of the milk myself. Yes, people go to church for 40 years and manage not to grow up, and that is bad. But, I have to be patient with those who are growing--just slower than I think they should.

Okay.....

Now, I've spent too much time in front of this computer today, and I'm going to leave you on that note...

Thanks, God, for sending a carnivorous friend. And thanks for reminding me to be patient with your babies.

3 comments:

  1. On so many levels, I feel like I could not have spent a better 12 hours anywhere else in the world this weekend. The word "refreshing" does not even begin to explain how it felt to be able to talk to someone (someoneS - shout out to Luke too!) who actually understands, grabbles with, and grieves over the same issues I have been trying to work through independently for months. And then to go to church with you and feel like the minister had been mic-ing our convo...whoa...!!!

    Thank you so much for being you. I love it.

    And, by the way, I still haven't gotten any professional texts. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you enjoyed the visit as well.

    And, I meant to tell you, I don't have the incriminating emails I thought I did. Just a self-describing survey you filled out when you were 18. So rest easy. :)
    As far as the professional texts, maybe you should start a BLOG--a funny, little comedy blog--and then you and Luke could use an infinite number of characters to "talk professionally." (By the way, isn't the term "professional" often used to describe prostitutes...? Er. Sorry for that association. haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh...shoo...now I can breathe easy. The thought of those emails did leave me feeling a little jumpy. I think I even said something to Catie about it. haha.

    As for a blog, I have a few actually. I just am not that great at updating them anymore. I have an old xanga from the early college years (you want to talk incriminating...), my livejournal from France and later college years, a top secret nanny blog, and one that is written from the perspective of a pioneer woman in the 1800 getting ready for the oregon trail. The last one may be my favorite. However I lost the password years ago. Perhaps it is time to add another to the mix...

    And, yes...you are correct. ha.

    ReplyDelete