Monday, March 25, 2013

Hit My Home

The other day, I was dismayed to hear home-robberies are on the rise in my town. The loss of property is bad enough--but I imagine the victims feel violated in ways only another victim can understand.  Will they ever feel safe in their own beds again?

On the other hand, comments by the Chief-Investigating Officer horrified me more than the crimes themselves.

"The actions of this criminal are appalling, and we are working round-the-clock to bring our suspect into custody.  Meanwhile, I advise members of the community to take certain precautions, in order to avoid becoming the next victims:  install quality locks on windows and doors, keep your property well-lit, and ask a neighbor to get your mail when you're gone a few days... We know some houses are easier to hit than others. So, with a little foresight and strategy, we may be able to prevent another attack." 

So much for protecting the people, huh?  Apparently, the police are more interested in blaming the victims! They might as well say, "It's your fault if you get robbed!"

I'm sick of being told I must compensate for the bad behavior of others.  Instead of blaming the scumbags who actually commit the crime, I'm expected to respond by locking my doors.  Why should I pay for expensive locks and/or security systems, when what we really ought to do is let the robbers know their actions are wrong?

Maybe I like letting huge piles of mail gather on my porch when I'm gone... Maybe I don't want to leave my lights on.  Isn't this America? Am I not free to do as I please?

It's a sad day when the professionals hired to protect us would rather hold us responsible for the bad-guy's sin. And this is why I'm organizing a protest.

The Chief Investigating Officer believes certain homes are just begging to be broken into, so we'll show him what we think of that! On Easter Sunday, before you go to church, leave all your windows open and your doors unlocked.

Turn the lights off.

Pull the "Brink" sign out of the flower bed.

And, of course, tell all your friends the plan...post signs in the neighborhood. I suggest, "We ought to be free to leave our jewelry on the lawn!" Or, "A thief's lack-of-control is not my fault!"

If you believe it's not okay for criminals to walk into a stranger's home and steal things, then show your support by participating in the "Hit My House" movement! Lock up your dogs. Throw open the shutters. And tell the police who's really responsible for home-invasions...

----

Please go here to read about "Slut-walks."  (Toronto Sluts respond to a statement by the local police: “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized.")

2 comments: