Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My Hero!


Husband: I have something to tell you. 
Wife: Okay, I'm listening.
Husband: Maybe you should sit down. I was debating whether or not to say anything...but...
Wife: You can tell me, sweetheart!  
Husband: It's just I don't want you to think I'm looking for praise. But your health may in jeopardy. So, I think I must risk sounding like Superman, coming to your rescue. 
Wife:  If ever a man deserved praise, it's you, my love. You may not be perfect, but there was never a more perfect man for me. If I picked Superman, I would be settling! (*wink*)
Husband: (*blushes) Well, okay then. You need to visit the doctor and get tested for HIV. See, it turns out one of the prostitutes I've been seeing without your knowledge was infected. I just got a call from the clinic...and it turns out I have it, too. 
Wife: ...Why, darling. You're MY HERO!
Husband: (*relieved) I thought you might be a little upset...about the affairs?
Wife: Didn't you hear me say "no one is perfect," you wonderful man? We all make mistakes. But obviously you love me, if you care so much about my health. You might have saved my life!
Husband: ...er...I never thought about it like that. I guess I was just hung up on the fact that it was my fault your life is at risk in the first place.
Wife: Nonsense. The important thing is that you are doing the responsible thing NOW. If that's not the definition of a hero, I don't know what is.
----

We can agree this man isn't being "responsible" and "heroic," right? By coming clean to his wife, the husband is doing the bare minimum required of any decent person who made big mistakes and doesn't want to punish his loved ones any more than he has already.

I'd like to propose: you're not a "hero" just because you're doing the best you can to control the damage caused by your own choices...




No comments:

Post a Comment